Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Judge by the Cover

The saying 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' doesn't mean a damn thing. I mean, it really doesn't.

It's a metaphor for being superficial, and how not to look at people and judge them from their unkempt or too kempt appearances, so I think the saying should be changed to 'Don't judge a person by their face.'
Simple fix. Straight to the point.

There's just too many metaphors in life. Everyone's dancing around the issues. But, for the sake of this blog, let's pretend the saying is just about books. And if we pretend it's just about books, then I find this saying to be complete and utter garbage.

'Don't judge a book by it's cover.'

I find the cover of the book to be one of, if not the main, deciding factors in my purchasing of said book. The type. The layout. Colors. Texture.

I judge.

I judge the book by it's cover. Constantly.

What? The cover is the only thing that attracts your attention, except for a recommendation from a friend, NY Times Bestseller List, Oprah or previous history of liking a particular writer/genre.

The cover GETS you to pick up the book. It's like a movie trailer. It's the COVER of the book.
The entire book's contents summed up in one image. THE PRESSURE for that designer. I love it.
And what are covers doing nowadays to get you to purchase the book?

Are they using the type to echo the title? Like, bending the type around in circles if the name of the book is 'Spin Spin Spin?' Is that good enough for you?

Whaddabout color treatment? Using black and white to grab the common onlooker's attention? Red and black? Whoa, contrast! That's always eye-catching.

Imagery, eh? Is it a photo? Is it an illustration? Is it centered? Cropped? Is the author's name bigger than the title? Or the title bigger than the author? Must be an unknown author.

These are things to think about. Eh, leave me be.

You like to watch every version of CSI crammed down your throat, so don't judge me.

Or my cover.

Save that for the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment